Monday, March 5, 2012

Post 4: Intercultural Behaviour

I think all of us are bombarded by inter-cultural experiences every day, be it face-to-face or through media. After a point, we may become inured to some inter-cultural differences but there is one experience that I still do not fail to be surprised by.

My uncle and his family live in India. When I visited them last summer, my aunt was in the process of changing schools for my 10 year old cousin. In India, education is of huge importance. My cousin had studied in the same school (good, but not excellent) for 5 years. She was changing school now so that she could take advantage of the better education system in another school which, was one of the top ten schools in that particular city. This change was to help her when she sat for her 10th Standard exams (or 'O' Levels) in four years' time. Top schools actually started preparing their students for the "BIG" exams much earlier. (In fact, it is normal for Sec 4 students to go for evening classes, Saturday classes, tuition, etc. in India.) In any case, the entire "school changing process" took place while I was there, so I was able to view it with incredule at times, sometimes with admiration at the length people went for education, and at times, even ridicule, I confess.

To gain admission into the new school was not easy. It was highly competititive. Many children, no parents actually, fought for their children's place in that new school. My aunt and uncle for instance, had to obtain a recommendation letter from relevant authorities (who were from the school board or otherwise). They also had to obtain the application forms, go visit some respected figures who could influence the school board's decision. They had to give some cash to smooth over whatever hindrances that could potentially come. After the initial selection process, the student was then invited to come sit for entrance exams and interview. On the day of my cousin's entrance exams, all of us went down with her to support her. I was surprised to see so many parents and grandparents camped around the school area, waiting. They all looked so serious and worried that I felt like I was the only one who could not understand the gravity of the situation. My aunt had explained the education system in India to me before; but when I witnessed the numerous anxious faces waiting for their children, praying and hoping fervently that their children would get into the new school, I was struck speechless truly.

This experience impressed upon me the fact that I am so lucky to be studying in Singapore. Equality and meritocracy are valued ideals in our country. We do not have to seek the recommendation of others or pay our way for top education. Plus, we are a small country. Competition like what it is in India, is not something that we have to contend with. This is something to be thankful for, but yet we should not allow this fact to slow us down. Further, this experience actually showed me how much my own Indian friends in NUS must have studied hard to come to Singapore on scholarship. It has taught me I have to be open-minded when trying to understand other societies or cultures. It is often easy to view the world with our own rose-tinted glasses. We should take care to firstly realise that we are allowing our own beliefs to mar our understandings of other cultures, and then shift our mindset to take in the new culture. Only then, can we truly appreciate and enjoy the other cultures and new experiences that it brings us.

To end my story, fortunately, my cousin did well in her entrance exams and moved to her new school. :)

8 comments:

  1. Hi Priya,

    Your experience with your cousin changing schools does sound extreme (to me, but not to your cousin's family surely). I do wonder though, is the school your cousin transferred to a private school? I guess there is a distinction between public and private schools in India, with private schools providing higher quality education. This also means that the Indian government needs to inject more funds into education in general.

    I believe that parents wanting the best for their children is a cultural universal, and the best way to achieve this is to give them a good education so they can succeed later in life. If the situations are reversed, Singapore parents would definitely do the same to ensure their children enter a good school (via means other than grades). This is why I am glad that mainstream public schools in Singapore have a meriocratic selection criteria based on grades and CCA achievements. Primary school enrollment is not covered by this system, and thus parents are known to volunteer years in advance at the school or move their houses to the school's vicinity, just to increase the chances of their child entering a brand name school. Scary isn't it?

    Bokai

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bokai,

      Yes, it's definitely scary to think that so much trouble has to be endured before a child can get a seat in his preferred primary school nowadays. It was not like this in "our times", which is just about 15 years ago. The value for education and the price that people are willing to pay for it has certainly increased. Perhaps I'm speaking from a microscopic point of view, but I always thought that children, atleast primary school children, should have the freedom to play, learn and do whatever they like to do, instead of going for numerous classes for tuition, music, swimming etc. There is always new things to learn, why cram it all in the first 10 years of your youth? I understand that some parents do it anways because they do not want their children to be disadvantaged with respect to other children. Thus, they succumb to the rat race even though they disagree with it. It just seems like a never-ending cycle.

      Delete
  2. This is an excellent post, Priya, for many reasons. For one, you have focused on one particular incident, your cousin's sitting for exams to enter/changing to a new school. Through that prism you have discussed a number of significant cultural issues, including the value for an education in India, the typical behaviors and norms for the "school changing process"/applying for entrance to an esteemed secondary school, the way that "cash" advances the process, and how that compares with what happens in Singapore. You provide lot of details, but your story-telling is clear and cohesive.

    Personally, I see extreme competitiveness in both India and Singapore. I think about how my daughter had to struggles in the PSLE, and how so many of her friends were overburdened with numerous tuition classes and extra activities to pad their young resumes.That's competition for you. But there is something else foot in India, and it seems you touch on that when you mention Singapore as a meritocracy.

    In any case, I appreciate your description and insights. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brad for your comments!

      I think I have been able to better clarify the issue in my mind after putting it up as a blog post! The comments from others have certainly helped me to understand the issue with greater perspective. =)

      Delete
  3. Hi Priya,

    The first thing that struck me while reading your post is how much parents will do to try to give their child a better chance in succeeding in life. This fact does not change across cultures.

    The education system in India seems even more competitive than in Singapore as parents are trying so hard to help their child secure a spot in one of the top schools. I am however wondering if being enrolled in a better ranking school would mean better grades. Does the ranking of the schools in India really matter? Or is there really a difference in the quality of teaching in better ranked schools.

    In Singapore, it can also be argued whether students of a higher ranked secondary school or junior college will produce students with better grades. There are many diverse viewpoints, but personally for me I believe that a child would do well naturally if he or she has the calibre and motivation to do well. Being in a school in a higher ranking might spur children to be more hardworking perhaps because they face stiffer competition, or due to the school environment which is more studious by nature.

    We might find the actions of parents who try so hard to get their child into a good school a little excessive, but I'm sure that we would come to understand when we have children in the future :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Priscilla,

      Yes I agree with you; we may find the zeal of the parents in getting their children in highly ranked schools excessive at times, but we may understand it when we have children of our own. And this is what my Mum tells me too when I talk to her about this sitaution! :)

      Still, the focus on all-rounded education from a yound age is over-emphasized thesedays. Like you said, whether students do well in the end depends on the calibre and the motivation of the children. Perhaps this mindset may still change in times to come;)

      Delete
  4. Hi Priya, congratulations to your cousin! Your post has helped me to be more appreciative of what we have in Singapore, and focus less on what we do not have. I am thankful indeed that we are not subjected to the rule of corrupt authorities.

    It is also hard to imagine you, an Indian, being surprised by a practice in India. It shows that the Indian immigrants in Singapore have come a long way. Actually, it is not just the Indian immigrants, but also the Chinese, Eurasians and other minority groups. Traditions which have roots back in the immigrants' hometowns are also practiced less over here in Singapore, and they have been replaced with 'uniquely Singaporean' practices, like running marathons, pursuing the 5Cs and keeping up with trending Korean fashion.

    I also am drawn to think about the reasons those students in India work so hard. Up till my junior college days, I saw India as a third-world country. If I'm not wrong, it was only after I studied economics that I learnt of the rapid development transforming India and China. This economic growth has opened many doors for youths to receive higher education. This explains the scenario you observed. What drives those families to push their children to the best schools? It could be their desire to move up the social ladder - a golden opportunity for those stuck at the bottom of the caste system India is well-known for - or it could just simply be the promises of city life, material well-being and luxury goods.

    But as any adept in intercultural communication would always do, we would have to do more research to understand the reasons behind the epic struggle to go to the best schools. We would have to learn the beliefs and values of the natives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jerick,

      You are right, its India's recent economic affluence that has led to increased motivation and drive to succeed among Indian students. It is important to understand where they are coming from to grasp the rationale behind their actions. Certainly, I can empathise with them in this regard. However, I was still suprised and impressed by such a show of zeal, since we are not used to it in Singapore. This is definitely something that we can learn from them! =)

      Btw, I am a Singaporean. I came here when I was 2 years old, so I am more Singaporean than Indian =P

      Delete